Hey Mami- the Dominican Hair salon experience

The GF highly recommends what I refer to as the “Dominican Hair Experience”. In many East coast cities from NY down to Florida, you can get what is commonly referred to as a ‘doobie’. Essentially a doobie is a wash and set that is combed, and wrapped. If you’re in NYC, you’re in luck, because there’s probably 50 Dominican Salons north of 116th street in a 20 block radius. The Ghetto fashionista always checks out Max’s or Pascuala’s (Pascuala’s is almost right next door to the famous (infamous?) Sylvia’s restaurant). In any case, for a price range between 15-25 bucks (depending on the length of your hair) you can get fried, dyed, and laid to the side. Most of the salons offer free oil treatments, and a deep conditioner can be added for a nominal fee. The reason this experience is so special is because even the toughest (read nappiest) hair can be tamed and you will be bouncing and behaving when you leave the shop. I have even visited these salons after two months of wearing my hair in micro braids, and NO relaxer and my hair was still able to be tamed into submission. These salons are also a great alternative between your visits to your regular stylist. I promise, you will not be disappointed!

Here’s contact information for some of my favorite salons in NY, NJ and DC:
Pascuala’s Beauty Salon
346 Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, NY 10027
(212) 348-4691

Max Doobie Unisex Salon
445 Central Avenue, Newark, NJ 07107
(973) 484-8200

Mary Hairstylers
8559 Fenton St, Silver Spring, MD 20910
(301) 585-8045

17 Comments

17 Comments on Hey Mami- the Dominican Hair salon experience

1. Smarty
    April 8, 2007 at 8:14 pm (11 years ago)

Can someon recommend a dominican beauty salon that lives in Camden, Burlington, Philadelphia, Cherry Hill or Moorestown. I live in South Jersey

2. holi
    April 16, 2007 at 5:17 pm (11 years ago)

Can anyone recommend a Dominican Hair Salon (Stylist) in the Los Angeles or San Fernando Valley area? I am pulling my locks out in my search and am getting absolutely no where. Thanks.

3. Shelley
    May 2, 2007 at 4:45 pm (10 years ago)

I highly recommend Foxy Lady on Westfield Avenue in Pennsauken, NJ (10 minutes from Moorestown/Cherry Hill Area). They are by far one of the best Dominican Hair Salons in NJ.

4. Anonymous
    October 7, 2007 at 9:40 pm (10 years ago)

Can anyone recommend a good hair braiding salon that does yarn twisting in the camden, burlington, philadelphia, cherry hill or moorestown area. It is basically a process where they twist your hair with yarn and it looks similar to dreads. If anyone knows of a place please holla. I live in south jersey

5. Anonymous
    November 8, 2007 at 5:44 am (10 years ago)

There is a new Dominican Salon in LA (Los Angeles)! It’s called Domini Salon. The salon is in the Silver Lake area of LA at 201 N. Westmoreland Avenue #109, Los Angeles, CA 90004. The number is 213-389-7896. The websites are http://www.dominisalon.com and <a href="http://www.dominisalon.netwww.dominisalon.net<br />They take it to a new level with the lofted salon, wireless internet access and they only use filtered water!

6. UmmAmiyr1
    January 26, 2008 at 4:08 am (10 years ago)

In Philly, there is a really good salon. Carmen's located at Tioga and Helena Streets, 2 blocks south of Tioga and Frankford Ave. They are closed on Monday. I guarentee that you won't be disappointed.

7. Anonymous
    March 9, 2008 at 4:48 am (10 years ago)

Ok I got one better than DOMINI SALON which is trying to give you the Spanish Harlem New York BANGIN hair experience (which is usually no more than $25) but charging you for their filtered water and Hollywood Spa setting…

This place is just like my girls back home in New York. NO FLASH but the result are Silk beautiful amazing hair no matter what it looked like when you entered!!!
    The owners name MARIA and the address is 8440 Laurel Canyon Blvd Sun Valley, Ca 91352. Tell her CARINA the Puerto Rican girl from New York SENT YOU!
    818 767 2711

8. Anonymous
    April 3, 2008 at 7:33 pm (10 years ago)

A Dominican Hair Salon is Philadelphia is

Jaelinne’s
    6334 Rising Sun AVenue
    (215) 725-4185
    its in the Lawncrest section of the city. The girl could do some hair!

9. Anonymous
    April 7, 2008 at 7:16 pm (10 years ago)

Can someone recommend a donicican salon in west palm beach, florida, i’m in great need of one. Thanks

10. Anonymous
    May 21, 2008 at 4:44 pm (9 years ago)

Anyone know of a Dominican Hair Salon in Northern NJ (Morristown, Montclair, East Orange). Thx Morris or Essex County.

lvmodelchic

11. Mia Mariu Associate
    December 2, 2008 at 11:08 pm (9 years ago)

I just posted a list of the best Dominican salons in the US. I am working on a full list for the US. If you have any suggestions, send them my way!

12. Anonymous
    December 21, 2008 at 9:53 pm (9 years ago)

North Jersey: Good solid wash n set and blowdrys. Reasonable prices and I bring my own color and they put it in my hair for a few bucks. The owner Ameryilla is very good (her station is in the front by the window)Hair Elegant1919 Bergenline Ave.Union City, NJ 07087Phone: 201-864-7660

13. Nikki
    April 5, 2010 at 12:51 pm (8 years ago)

Can someone please recommend a Dominican beauty salon thats in Port Saint Lucie,FL or Miami. Something like MAX'S. Thank you. Ciao

14. Salon In Los Angeles
    June 2, 2010 at 5:57 am (7 years ago)

It’s such an amazing salon.I like this Dominican salon.Thanks

15. hairdressers london
    January 27, 2011 at 9:35 am (7 years ago)

Good hair braiding salon! It is important to identify your goals. When I was across from this thread then I saw that great discussion about Dominican salon. That’s great.

16. Deisy
    March 24, 2011 at 9:27 pm (7 years ago)

best dominican beauty hair salon in los angelesis Maria's8440 laurel canyon blvd, Sun Valley, CA 91352818-767-2711http://www.facebook.com/LADominicanHairSalonhttp://thedominicanbeautysalon.com/

17. Far Sight
    September 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm (5 years ago)

I’m disappointed that I missed this great post on my initial visit. Kudos on the site and insight.