The Plight of the Black Woman’s Hair

The GF will be heading to Playa Del Carmen for some much-needed R&R with my Honey Do, and I am in a serious conundrum about what to do with my crowing glory. Not only is my issue about what to do as I plan to swim everyday whilst on vacation, but I swear to you that I cannot keep a hairstyle because of my 4-5x per week workouts. I was in the gym just last week and the group of sisters who were winding down from serious calorie burning cardio, started complaining that the reason many sisters tip the scales and fall way out of the range of our recommended BMI (Body Mass Index) is because we don’t want to mess up our hair!

That’s another reason why many of us will go to the beach, or pool and never go beyond getting our ankles wet. Well, I am working my way down to a size sexier, and I have been trying to determine the best course of action to keep my wig tight. I have been making twice-weekly visits to the Dominican Mommies to get my wash, set and wrap, but I know all of the blow-drying they do is not helping with keeping my tresses at their healthiest. I’ve been weighing my options, and I really don’t want to go back to being a weave-a-diva, so braids are probably my next best option.

Here’s some inspiration

photo source

Comments

1. www.dralisyed.com says:

You’re probably going to have to find a way to compensate for the moisture-loss with all of that heat styling in order to maintain the health of your hair.

Are you using any sort of intensive conditioner before thermal styling?

2. The Ghetto Fashionista says:

Hi there- I always get a deep conditioner prior to my blow outs, and spend about 20 minutes either under the dryer, or heating cap. Do you have a conditioner that you recommend?

3. Dr. Ali Syed says:

I’d recommend either Avlon’s KeraCare Intensive Restorative Masque or Syntonics Repair Therapy. Both would keep your protect your hair from the heat damage, provided you aren’t damaging your hair in other ways.

4. Anonymous says:

hey I recommend that you do a wash and set once a wek instead of twice. Only blow out your roots not the entire head and that is only if your roots need it. Also if you can, use a deep conditioner I sugest Silicon, Crema Negra or Ojon and sleep in it and have the salon wash it out. As a people we don’t take care of our bodie or maintain our hair. Cut back on the heat and increase moisture.

5. The Ghetto Fashionista says:

wow this is GREAT feedback. I actually only allow the salon to give me a blow out when I’m seriously overdue for a relaxer and I typically wait 10 weeks between getting a ‘touch up’. I’ve heard of the Ojon products, but for some reason didn’t think it was for ‘us’. I’ve seen it in Sephora so I will pick some up today.

I have been using the kera care products for a few years, so I will have to also try there recommended products.

THANK YOU!!

6. Anonymous says:

[b]GlobalSat TR-102[/b]Портативный трекер GlobalSat TR-102[url Reply

7. eco vacations costa says:

hi all, for weeks, I've been following your blog about "The Plight of the Black Woman's Hair", I love the approach that you give to this subject, thank you very much!