Let me preface this post by saying there are definitely reputable nail salons that offer eyelash extensions that are a worthy investment. I personally used to have what could best be described as mild addiction to eyelash extensions. Brands like Xtreme lash, and Novo lash are definitely a worthwhile investment and when I was wearing extensions regularly, I was particularly fond of the Xtreme lash brand. This post is not about establishments offering these services.
Here are my top 5 reasons not to go to (certain) nail salons:
1. Let’s face it, some nail salons have questionable sanitation procedures . Do you really want to get your eyelashes done next to the pedicure station? Enough said.
2. Nail salons offering eyelash extensions are often charging an exorbitant price point for what are essentially event lashes. Ardell is a reputable brand of lashes that can be found at drugstores and even some dollar stores. Why pay 25 bucks for 2.99 lashes?
3. Have you ever given any thought to what products are in the glue used in to apply those lashes? I have seen the women in these salons use weaving hair glue for eyelash application. Imagine the after-effects on your eyelashes during removal.
4. Investment in a great mascara can often achieve similar results to lash extensions. MAC zoom lash, Maybelline and my new favorite product They’re Real by Benefit all yield beautify results when applied correctly.
5. Unless you are willing to make the investment for reputable extensions spend some time getting comfortable applying lashes on your own. There are several videos offering tutorials on lash application. As with everything, lash application becomes easier with practice.