Although the red carpet is typically the highlight of any awards, I dare say that Ellen Degeneres really stole the show in her role as host last night. Her comedic timing is always perfect but on oscar night it was even more so; between record breaking impromptu selfies, to making good on her promise to order pizza Ellen remained entertaining during a show that can sometimes be a snooze fest. She was funny, incredibly well dressed and was the primary reason I stayed tuned in- besides waiting to see Lupita win!!!!
Here are my top 8 moments from last nights Oscars:
8. Fashion moments I loved Pharrells trendsetting boldness opting to wear a Lanvin tuxedo that included shorts. Pharrell continues to make controversial fashion choices that keep us talking.
7. Best dressed– I also LOVED Charlize Theron in Dior, Kate Hudson in Versace and Kelly Osbourne in Badgley Mischka
6. Speaking of Pharrell his performance of his academy nominated song “Happy” was another highlight. The choreography was on point and who can resist dancing along to such an infectious song? Plus he made his way to the audience and had several nominees dancing right along with him.
5. Judy Garland Tribute– Pink is usually incredibly edgy and prone to acrobatics during her performances; however I loved seeing her all dressed up delivering a powerful rendition of Somewhere Over The Rainbow
4.Pizza! In the middle of the formality of the academy awards Ellen Degeneres polls the audience on how hungry they are and then proceeds to have pizza delivered. Apparently it was gluten free.
3.Matthew McConaughey’ acceptance speech- I have admittedly not seen Dallas Buyers club but after his acceptance speech for wining for his lead actor role in the movie I’m definitely going to check it out. He was the only winner to thank God for his win-
“There’s a few things, about three things to my account that I need each day. One of them is something to look up to, another is something to look forward to, and another is someone to chase. Now, first off, I want to thank God. ‘Cause that’s who I look up to. “He has graced my life with opportunities that I know are not of my hand or any other human hand.”
2.Selfies! Ellen did an amazing job of infusing her authentic self into every moment as host. When she broke out her phone to take a selfie with several of the nominees she broke records for having the subsequent tweeted picture be retweeted over 2 million times.
Photo via twitter
1. Lupita Nyong’o wins! Lupita looked like a princess last night in her custom Prada and she served as inspiration to black girls everywhere-” may it remind me and every little child that no matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid.”